Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Blog Post Two:Teenagers in the Media


My thoughts on teenagers in the media... Honestly, I’m not even sure how I feel about it . Whether I agree with it or not, I’m being exposed to it every day and I must admit, I’m entertained. From our discussions in class, most people agree that they way teenagers are portrayed is completely inaccurate, myself included. And no matter how many times I bash the media...I’m still entertained. And that’s the point isn’t it? To be entertained. When you turn on your television or switch on our computer you’re wanting to be entertained; that’s the whole point of the media. People turn into shows like Gossip Girl and 90210 not because they’re an accurate and relatable portrayal of someone their own age. No they turn in because it’s entertaining.
Teenagers in real life are no where near as exciting as they are portrayed on tv or in movies or on the radio (though some may think they are). That’s why teenagers in the media are so different from real teens, they have to be entertaining. And not just entertaining, they have to be witty, cool, ridiculously attractive and put together and have to look like they’re five years older (which in most cases is achieved by having someone 24 play a 17 year old). By setting these extreme and unachievable standards, regular teens feel like this is how they should be and then copy and reflect how they think a real teenager should be. Little do they know, this "real teenager" was systematically developed by some 35 year old marketing executive to appeal to a wide audience with the sole purpose of making you want to be just like this character. I think this just sets a standard that makes everyone who watches it feel completely inadequate.
These manufactured media teens are an extremely negative portrayal of how teenagers really are. It’s degrading to assume that all teenagers are self absorbed air-heads who only think about is sex, partying and material objects. While yes, this is partly true, it’s not completely true. A teenager is a person with thoughts, likes and dislikes and feelings and are not just some vapid sex machine which is how the media (for the most part portrays us). Adults turn on these shows looking for insight into their kids life and are severely misguided. I know my mom thinks that my sister and I are drinking and doing drugs like every other nigh because that’s what the media says we do. If the media was accurate, she would know that we actually stay in singing karaoke and watching funny cat videos on youtube.
So while I don’t agree with what the media says about us, I’m not putting down my copy of Seventeen and it would take a natural disaster to make me miss and episode of Gossip Girl.

1 comment:

  1. Some excellent points here, Allie, although I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone liking both Quantum Leap and Gossip Girl.

    ReplyDelete